Wednesday 1 November 2023

No tithe like the present - There's no subscription fee to be heathen

 Something that bothered me when I first began on my heathen path was the concept of "being heathen".  Once I'd proudly announced (online, naturally) that I was now a heathen there was a period afterward that asked a lot of questions.

"Now what?"

"What makes me heathen?"

"What is different about me now compared to before?"

So, I'd made the monumental decision to be heathen (rather than the nihilist I'd been in my twenties) and this was a big deal for me.  So why didn't I feel any different?  I knew I wanted to be heathen, so what could I do to make myself more heathen?

As we all have grown up in a capitalist. materialist society, the temptation is strong to ascribe heathen value to products and services.  If I buy this mjolnir pendant, that will make me more heathen.  If I buy this drinking horn, that will make me even more heathen.  Perhaps if I spend £100 on this, I'll be more heathen than if I only spend £10 on that.

Don't get me wrong, it is nice to see our heathen path reflected in what we wear and how we decorate our living spaces, but those things are just outward signs.  There's nothing inherently heathen in owning them.  If the Archbishop of Canterbury bought a mjolnir pendant, it wouldn't make him any more heathen - or any less christian.

With the advent of the information superhighway, we now have the opportunity to connect with other heathens across the globe.  Joining websites, facebook and chat groups allows us to identify with other heathens with a few clicks of a mouse.  But that can be a double edged sword, too.  Seeing other people post and chat about their heathen path can lead to feelings of inadequacy - as our heathen lives seem to pale in comparison.  This is a problem with the internet in general, not just for heathens.  Its important to bear in mind that the internet gives a very distorted view of reality. 

After a while, I began to realise, from under my mountain of viking paraphenalia, that what I knew and felt was far more important in defining what kind of heathen I am.  Furthermore, there was nothing to be gained from comparing my version of heathenry to anyone else's beliefs or deeds.

 

 

It is often said that heathenry is the religion with homework.  I can hear the groans now.  Who wants to spend hours poring over source texts by candlelight?  Noone has to spend years gaining a doctorate in early medieval history just to be a heathen. 

Gaining a cursory knowledge of the main stories and mythology can help to feel more secure in the state of "being heathen", though.  Many of the stories are very relatable and can give us the means whereby we can reflect on our own lives as heathens.  They also make for very interesting discussions when disparate heathens get together around the campfire.  Whether that fire is virtual or not.  A favourite icebreaker I have when meeting new heathens is "What's your favourite story from the eddas?"  It's a good way to get talking about how we each relate to the gods and other beings from the mythology.



No comments:

Post a Comment