Friday 30 July 2021

Pre-Vikings Vikings in the media. Or, stuff that influenced young me to become the Heathen I am today

Having just witnessed the phenomena that is the Vikings tv series on Amazon Prime Video, I thought I'd create a list of Viking and Heathen shows that pre-date streaming services. In some cases by quite a few years. In this list, I include shows that reference Vikings, the Viking Age or simply have some kind of aesthetic appeal to the average, modern heathen. In no particular order:

HAGAR THE HORRIBLE

Hagar the Horrible was a comic strip that appeared in the newspaper when I was a kid. There were also trade paperbacks available and, if I recall correctly, I may have seen him on tv now and again.

Quite funny at times, and may be of interest to older kids. Younger kids less so, as some of the humour is quite grown up - not rude, so much as the target market for the humour seems to be young adults, parents, et cetera.

VICKY THE VIKING

Vicky the Viking was the rather androgenous star of a kids' tv cartoon show. Not sure it ever found its own slot on tv, but would appear at random times on the schedule - usually during the summer holidays. Plot was pretty simple. Vicky was a clever kid whose ideas and plans would get the mostly moronic viking friends out of trouble. Very good for kids of all ages. I enjoyed this well into my teens - although tv was a lot more limited back then.

NOGGIN THE NOG

My personal favourite (hence the emphasis), Noggin the Nog was created by Oliver Postgate who was responsible for many of my favourite childhood animations. Essentially, Noggin's tales are at first glance, stark, dreary tales of a hard life in the far north. In many ways it is as though Ingmar Bergman descided to turn his hand to children's shows. Very minimalist and reminiscent of the tales of the Eddas and Lays of which we are all familiar. But there is a childlike wonder and magic in these stories, too. I really can't oversell these and I count my love of his show as the first sign of the heathenry I'd later recognise in myself as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment