Monday 7 February 2022

Reading around the subject - Heathenry is more than just vikings

When I was a schoolkid, living in one of the more rural parts of England, my friends and I developed an interest in certain areas. We loved fantasy novels, my friends having introduced me to JRR Tolkien. This went hand in hand with a love of history, myths and archaeology. I carried these interests around with me long before I came across the idea of heathenry as a spiritual path. It is easy to forget that all these fields were already familiar to me and probably contributed to my curiosity about this reconstructed religion based on the history of various germanic peoples. Had I not already been interested in history prior to discovering heathenry then I likely wouldn't have been interested in it at all. If that happened, I wouldn't be a heathen today and you, dear reader, would be reading me waffle on about something else. Probably.

So, sometimes, I'm so kean to further my interest in and knowledge of heathenry that I forget to indulge my old passions. Sometimes, just to remind me how I got here, little connections crop up. In this case, I came across some interesting discussion of anglo saxon farming practices while indulging my other interests in the culture of the countryside and folk history.

In this video, the late Jack Hargreaves touches upon some anglo saxon history while cataloguing one of his walks through the Dorset countryside. I always find Jack Hargreaves easy to watch as his programme would often be on the television around the same time as children's tv shows when I was enjoying the summer holidays from school.

YouTube link: Jack Hargreaves tells how a Dorset river lost its name

Don't forget to indulge your other passions, and maybe keep a look out for any way they might gel with or inform your heathen practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment