Wednesday 19 January 2022

2023: The Year of Aun

(Taken from the Nordic Animism channel, with Rune Hjarno Rasmussen)



This is something that really resonates with me. Yule and Midsummer are the only real heathen events that my family and I voluntarily get ourselves embroiled in. We also often travel to Scandinavia (mostly, Stockholm) fairly often - or, we did. Thank you, global pandemic!

At first, I was thinking of wanting to get involved and immediately thought of arranging some family trip. Uppsala seemed to be a good choice. Then it occurred to me that international travel has not exactly been reliable, of late. Disappointing and something that still looms in my mind as we have been planning to spend Yule 2022 in Kiruna again. Just before the first lockdown, we managed to spend what would later be thought of as our best Yule ever at Camp Ripan in Kiruna, Lapland (Sweden).

These past few days, though, I have been thinking about The Year of Aun and I've changed my mind a little. I still very much want to get involved and help in whatever way I can. Now, though, I think it more important to have a lot of smaller scale, local events commemorating Aun at historical sites around the globe. Each celebrating in their own way in accordance with their own, local customs. Online, then, The Year of Aun might simply be a website or series of blogs containing media showing how each area has celebrated. Pictures, videos, articles or artwork all commemorating the rejuvenation of this most significant of heathen festivals.

Unfortunately, I am neither an academic nor an artisan. I can't really offer any knowledge or insight into the development of this idea. One lesson I have learned from my years spent identifying as a heathen is that there are a lot of people out there who know a Hel of a lot more about heathenry and its associated fields than do I. Similarly, other than occasionally bursting into song while in the shower, I really don't have an artistic bone in my body and my hands lack any practical skills at all. Because of this, it can feel quite hard to fathom what I can offer this project - other than enthusiastic moral support. If I figure that one out, I'll let you all know.

Though it has been 48 years and, to this very day, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment